søndag 6. oktober 2013

Assorted photos from Halifax

Photos from the Sunday hikes so far are here, an album of photos of the Dalhousie Campus here, and an album of Halifax in general here

Some assorted photos that made me think of some of you, or that I just want to show for some reason: 


I now have the coolest lunch box ever.

I was so lucky to borrow this from Jacob, one of the guys at the YMCA. It's a graphic novel, dark and beautiful and fascinating and horrible and funny and very much recommended.

A glimpse of the Farmer's Market on a Saturday morning. Local products, mostly food, but also a lot of other products: jewelry, art, clothing etc.

My favourite bench in the park across the street from home. A good place to study.

The view from my favourite bench. The view often includes ducks, and once in a while a turtle.
 
Around Halifax I have seen a lot of painted boxes, I'm guessing they're some kind of electrical something or whatever. But at least - they look so nice! I think it's such a good way to make something that would often look quite gray and misplaced into a piece of colour and art instead. I love it! So far I've photographed every one I've found, you can see them here if you'd like to.
My dear computer died (could no longer recieve charging at all), and I had to buy a new one. This one has a touchscreen, which is fun (seems that a lot of new computer have that - I had no idea...), but I miss my numpad.


Fabrics coloured with indigo, shown at the conference I attended about sustainable fashion. This photo do not at all show the absolutely amazing colour they had, but it might give you an idea. The producer/artist grew and prepared the indigo in a traditional Japanese way in his home in the US (?), and it was amazing to see his talk.

Our stairs have a hippopotamus.

Every hot dog-"shop" I have seen here so far has veggie dogs! I love it! There are also usually several vegetarian dishes in the restaurants and cafés well. There's even a place at my university here that three times a week serves free, vegan lunch with products given from local farmers! (Including dessert.)

They have a quite good selection of organic products here, better than in Sweden and much better than Norway. They also generally have a lot more chocolate  milk here. (This one is so tasty!)
They have a lot of Fair Trade chocolate here, in every small and big shop that sells chocolate. And not like in Scandinavia where most of the Fair Trade chocolate is way too fancy pancy dark, dark chocolate - here they always have milk chocolate, and often other nice choices as well - like this one.
So far I've been walking barefoot on all the hikes. ("Signe-style" I think Pontus called it on Gotland? :) ) It really gives another dimension to walking in nature - it's so fascinating to feel all the different surfaces I'm walking on, to feel the warmth where the sun reaches, to feel where the earth is slightly more moist or dry - and generally it's just a lot more fun!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar